Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Strength Training Workout



Strength Training and Cardio Training are NOT the Same Thing!



My Strength Training Routine 2X per week, dedicated to my friends S & D and my trainers JJ and Donna), without you this would not be.




WARM-UP


2 min treadmill 2.8 brisk walk
2 min jog on treadmill 3.2+
1 min brisk walk treadmill 3.0


Short Rest, DRINK!!!!


Yoga Stretch, Breath :)  Prepare for War against your BODY!






Set 1
20 Kettle bell squatted swings (18 lbs); quickly followed by






10 weighted squats (body weight only)
10 weighted squats (10 lbs)
10 weighted squats (15 lbs)
10 weighted squats (20 lbs)








REST DRINK


20 Kettle bell squatted swings (18 lbs); quickly followed by 


Set 2

10 weighted squats (body weight only)
10 weighted squats (10 lbs)
10 weighted squats (15 lbs)
10 weighted squats (20 lbs)


REST DRINK


20 Kettle bell squatted swings (18 lbs); quickly followed by 



Set 3

10 weighted squats (body weight only)
10 weighted squats (10 lbs)
10 weighted squats (15 lbs)
10 weighted squats (20 lbs)




LONG REST (3 min) DRINK!


SPRINT TREADMILL 3.8 FOR 1 MINUTE






NEXT, Strength Training DRILLS
30 Mountain Climbers
20 push ups
20+ stomach (various things you can do here)


Short Rest


30 Mountain Climbers
20 push ups
20+ stomach (different from the 1st set)






REST DRINK




SPRINT TREADMILL 3.8 FOR 1 MINUTE
    {its imp to keep your heart rate up!, no better way to do this than a quick Sprint}








NEXT, Dreadful things that must be done...CORE DRILLS


20 SQUAT THRUSTS aka BURPIES...these are killer, but strengthen your core like nothing else!   Very difficult.







REST DRINK


20 Romanian Get-ups! these are killer, but must be done if you want a strong core.   You can do these with or without a weight.  For me, I do them without a weight since my body weight is about all I can handle getting up and down from a laying position.    I also truthfully have to rest between 10-12 and force myself to finish these, but I do force myself.    Very difficult.






LONG REST (3 min) & DRINK 




QUICK SPRINT ON TREADMILL 3.8 FOR 1 MINUTE




NEXT, ARMS & Weights....


I do a series of standard weight lifting moves with 10lbs, 15lbs and yes 20 lbs concentrating on biceps, triceps and the nasty arm fat place (wings).   Nothing less than 10lbs for me at this time. 
{I have been with a trainer for several years,  If you have  never worked out with weights start with 3,5 & 8's and work your way to the next set.   I struggle very much with anything over 20 lbs.}




Finally,


PLANKS! I call this portion the TEST. This is really how you measure your whole body strength and core area.   Success is how long can you hold a plank, flat, solid and no ass in the air.   Your body is a board!






Longest hold you can do, no less than +1 full minute plank;
...........a really quick rest; followed by


45 sec plank; quick rest; followed by


30 sec plank; quick rest; followed by 


15 sec plank.


 DONE!



This routine should take you about 1 hour to complete!

5 comments:

  1. I got exhausted just reading it!! Holy moly!! I start working with my trainer next week....I am kind of dreading it now! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing this! Its not even a month after this post and you are alreay completing these moves and LOVING IT!

      Delete
  2. Wow... I think I need a trainer.. lol I got cofused just reading this! I need someone to walk me through this and make sure I'm doing it right! I need to get me some weights... I LOVE zumba but I need to add some strength training during the week. Thanks for the great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! That is an intense workout! But you feel so much better after I am sure!! Great workout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great workout. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete