Monday, May 28, 2012

Mindful Eating

Came across this article today {www.mybaiatricpantry.com}. I hope this technique combined with my passion for working out, biking and my new BFF Ms. Lap Band will be the combination to my success.
This is a post for non-band followers!   

Looking for a cool trick on how to eat less at meal times? A useful technique is the practice of "Mindful Eating". This is an easy, quick form of meditation that helps you control the urge to stuff yourself!

Here's how it works: Before you gobble down the first bite, pause a moment, take a few deep breaths, and reflect on what you are about to do. Think about why it is you are sitting down for this meal. Consider that the real purpose is not just to satisfy your cravings, but to provide your body with nourishment.  

Now start eating, but chew each bite very slowly.  Pay attention to the texture and taste of the food. Once you've eaten about half your plate, pause and take a few more deep breaths. Then decide whether you even need to eat the other half.

How to Eat Less:   Meditate as you eat. Slow everything down at meal times. That's all there is to it. Simple, right? You can teach yourself how to eat less by slowing everything down and listening to your body. This meal-time exercise is a form of meditation called "mindfulness" or "awareness" meditation. The idea is to become highly aware of what you are doing so your body's automatic reflexes are no longer in control.


By taking conscious control of your actions, you can stop compulsive eating or "BLIND EATING" and stress-related eating in its tracks. Give mindfulness eating a try at your next several meals. If you practice enough, it will become a regular part of your eating ritual and you won't have to remind yourself to do it.

Take It Further: Consider starting a personal meditation program (not just for mealtimes). By helping to relieve stress, meditating can actually help you lose weight.  There is nothing wrong with taking time for yourself!    Shut the damn door, close the blinds and sit and breath for 5 minutes.





Ok...so since my humor is always a part of my blog.  

I asked myself prior to making the decision for my Lap Band this question.

Why did I not know I was this Phat?    Well now you know my secret.

1 comment: